Sunday, November 22, 2009

Exercising Under Time Constraints

If you've been coming to my web site, finding no new blogs since the first of the month, and wondering if Justin_P's been busy then you've guessed correctly. I'm still on the road and now I'm under the gun to finish up all of my work before December 20th... so I can head to South America for the Holidays. I'm still tired of being out of state, just like I reported a month ago. Just when I think that things couldn't get worse, I landed in a town east of Scranton, PA with no wireless Broadband access. When I get home, my weekends are packed full of things to do, including visits to the hospital to see my ill grandfather.

It reminds me of what one of my readers went through after starting college: how do you do things when you're short on time. His time constrictor was college. So, my problem is a lot of people's problem. Still, I find the way to make the time to work out.

I think that a lot of us fall into the trap of thinking that dedication is measured in the time that we spend on the activities we want to dedicate ourselves to. The nice thing about physical training is that it this isn't a problem. The truth of the matter is that we don't need a lot of time each day to get ourselves in shape. 20 minutes is all that we need many times. Frankly, there are 20 minute routines that can't last longer than that. It's just a matter of proper exericse selection and minimizing the amount of breaks during training.

Try doing 3 rounds of Tabata For training. Do a routine of handstand push-ups, pull-ups and burpees for 20 minutes (if you're good, you might get 4 rounds of this done in 20 minutes). My Exercise Bible routine might take you a bit over 20 minutes, as long as you're not being a lazy ass.

Okay, now that I've given you a few ideas for training, I have to get going. My weekly 7 hour trip is just an hour away. I'll do my best to keep updating this place. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and train hard!

2 comments:

Jigokumimi said...

20 minutes is about right, especially with Tabata timing. When I only have a little time, I do 4 quick Tabata sets (pushups, situps, squats, bridges) and it always makes me feel I've done SOMEthing (in a good way).
Get some rest when you can!

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi Justin,

I hope your ill grandfather recovers so you can enjoy more of his life here on earth.