Thursday, April 12, 2007

Now this is my kind of shoulder routine!

I thought up a routine a while back for exercsing my shoulders and I think it came out quite good, if I do say so. It satisfies a number of requirements that my routines have to address:

1. It shouldn't take to long to do but...
2. It should be intense.
3. It should develop strength in all directions and angles

Now, I've never been one to say, "okay, this exercise this number of reps then this exercise this number of reps blah blah blah blah.." Still, it has a basic structure. The foundation is the different pushups that you do in the exercise. It's important because they all work the shoulders a bit differently, not to mention hitting a lot of other important muscles at the same time. In between each set of pushups, I inserted a set of Visualized Resistance or Self Resistance exercises. Which ones and at what intensity is up to you but keep the overall theme of working in all angles and directions.

So, pick out some VR's and SR's that strike you and try this out:

Hindu Pushups
VR/SR
Handstand Pushups
VR/SR
Atlas Pushups
VR/SR
Reverse Pushups
VR/SR

If this is just too easy for you, throw in some isometrics. I've done this too. It hurts (in a good way). The number of reps and the intensity of the VR's/SR's is up to you. Do what you can. Just don't get too ambitious, this isn't as easy as it looks.

Have fun!

No comments: